My Favorite Movies
I think asking what somebody’s favorite movies are can tell you a lot about that person. Here is a rough list of my top ten or so favorites. After the top two or three, the rankings get a little fuzzier.
- Amelie (Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amélie Poulain) – I swear I’m not putting a French film at the top of my list just to be hip. This is a wonderful, sweet, romantic film. Not some mindless Hollywood bullshit romance either, but a slowly building, realisitic, real-life one. It will leave you with a goofy smile on your face at the end of the movie. Yes, it’s in French, but there are subtitles.
- Patton – this is the very definition of epic picture. At least it was when I was a kid and it has shaped my idea of epic pictures ever since. War! Death! Blowing up Nazis!
- Stranger Than Fiction
- The Right Stuff
- Trainspotting – I never would have imagined I’d like a movie about Scottish heroin addicts but I do. A lot. You’ll never forget the toilet scene.
- Sweeney Todd – A musical and a damn good one. One of the best and put on film by Tim Burton, who can see the beautiful in it despite, or perhaps because of, the blood. Yes, it’s bloody.
- Once Upon a Time in the West – I actually like this one better than The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Heresy, I know, but it’s true. This one has at least a glimmer of hope in it. Not to mention Claudia Cardinale.
- Cabaret – A musical
- Dr. Strangelove
- Real Genius
- The Muppet Movie